Protein rich pumpkin soup
Posted on 27 May 2013
Everyone has their fail safe pumpkin soup recipes. It's one of those trusty dishes that you can whip up without too much thought. I know people get pretty protective and competitive that their pumpkin soup is the best recipe, but let me tell you people, THIS is the best recipe. Most pumpkin soups are great for comfort and ease but not all that nutritious since they lack the all important, golden addition of protein. This pumpkin soup recipe friends, has it all! Taste, protein and lots of other hidden goodies to make it a super nutritious complete meal.
- ½ tablespoon coconut oil and 1 tablespoon olive oil in pot
- 1 leak chopped up
- a clove of garlic
- Half a butternut pumpkin chopped into cubes
- 4 carrots chopped into cubes
- healthy handful of cashew nuts
- handful of oats
- 1 tbsp Blue Dashi * plus one cup boiling water
- salt and pepper to taste
- Saute the leek & garlic in the oil mix (This mix helps prevent the oil getting too hot, as coconut oil is a saturated fat and can withstand higher heats than unsaturated fats) and it tastes so good.
- Add a few cups of water and the pumpkin/ carrots, as well as the oats, cashews and dashi.
- After about half an hour, you can blend or puree it to your hearts content.
- And then voila- a yummy, nutritious soup!
* If you can’t get Dashi (but you should be able to pretty easily), you can use vege or fish stock plus ½ a stick of kombu (a super nutritious sea vegetable)