QnA with Eat Fit Food Founder, Bianca Monley
Posted on 28 July 2015
At Vie Active we think nourishing our bodies with healthy, fresh food is just as important as being active everyday. However, sometimes we don't have time to prepare healthy, fresh meals - let alone fit in time for Grocery Shopping. This is where our friends at Eat Fit Food come in. We shared a virtual green smoothie with Eat Fit Food Founder Bianca Monley, to find out about her active life and secrets for success.
Tell us a bit about yourself, why did you start EFF?
I started the business in 2002 when I was just 22. At the time I was working in the fitness industry and became super frustrated by seeing what people were eating and their perception of healthy food. So I recognised a gap in the market and decided to take action. My vision was to produce incredible tasting and comforting home delivered meals packed with natural produce, just as mother-nature intended. I truly love food and fitness – and believe eating well and feeling healthy should be an enjoyable part of everyone’s daily life.
Last year I purchased a farm in the Southern Highlands, where we are now growing fresh produce that is being incorporated where possible into Eat Fit Food’s meals. We’re proud to say that we only use organic farming processes. This means no synthetic fertilizers or pesticides.
It is clear that the natural foods movement isn’t going anywhere and Eat Fit Food has managed to jump onto another opportunity yet again. More exciting projects to come!
You started EFF at such a young age – what are your tips to other inspiring entrepreneurs?
- Find something you are passionate about
- Dream big
- Don’t give up no matter what the hurdles may be
- Form relationships with like-minded people who will help you along the way
What has been your greatest accomplishment?
Keeping Eat Fit Food at the top of the game – I won’t compromise on quality or taste. Plus we offer the best possible customer service to our clients.
What has been your greatest struggle?
The business has recently seen a massive growth spurt - so getting a gauge on running costs, new management processes, hiring staff, implementing new IT systems has all become a necessity. Overall, managing this has been challenging but you are venturing into new territory so it is to be expected. I know I will look back at these answers and some of these points would have turned into great achievements by the end of 2015. It’s all part of the process!
What is your active life mantra?
Smile - Dream Big – Stay Positive - Be Grateful every day for what you have.
How do you usually stay active?
I train a couple of times a week. My favourite is boxing or running - 45 minute power sessions do the trick.
And food, what does a usual day on a plate look like?
I love a variety of things to keep it interesting; Eat Fit Food certainly helps out with that.
Breakfast: Organic Eggs many ways (Omelettes), Avocado, Natural Muesli w Chia, lsa, Kefir and Bee Pollen. Or Green super smoothies with Eat Fit Food’s new supplement range called “Good Greens.” It’s packed with over 75 ingredients so really gets me going for the day. You can check it out here.
Lunch and Dinner: A variety of Eat Fit Food meals – for example: Argentinian bowl with quinoa, fried egg + chimmichurri or Mole poblano chicken (or barramundi) with cauliflower rice, cashew sour cream and tomato salsa.
I also love the weekends, to shop at local farmers markets, the best part is picking up fresh produce and cooking for my family with whatever I get my hands on.
Roast dinners, BBQ’s and a good Spag Bol is always popular in my house.
And what is your biggest indulgence?
Cheese and a glass of wine (Chardonnay)
What are your top 10 pantry essentials for a healthy pantry/kitchen? And why?
- Coconut Flour – Great gluten free flour for baking.
- Coconut Oil – Healthy fat for cooking. Fantastic skin hydrator too.
- Bananas – Natural sweetener. I use them in smoothies, baking, cereals or an easy snack.
- Raw Nuts + Seeds – Quick healthy snack, great to add crunch to salads – nutrient dense
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil (for light pan frying or in a dressing) – loaded with antioxidants and healthy fats.
- Dates – Natural sweetener for baking
- Balsamic Vinegar – Makes a fab easy dressing with olive oil
- Organic Eggs – Great source of protein, easy breakfast, lunch or dinner – can also be added to salads.
- Avocados – Healthy fat to use in anything.
- Coconut Water – I use them in juices and smoothies, best to pick fresh coconuts if possible.
- Frozen blueberries, raspberries + strawberries – Fab for smoothies + baking
- Milk – Organic / Almond / Rice
- Fresh Fruit / Veggie / Fish / Grass Fed Beef / Lamb / Free Range Chicken
What makes you FLAWSOME?
Constantly changing my role on a daily basis … Business Owner – Mum to 2 under 2 and a Farmer all in a week… what the?