A few weeks ago I had the pleasure of catching up and shooting with the gorgeous Tanya from @achieving_balance. Tanya is a PT in training in Sydney and shares her HIIT workouts, healthy recipes and more on her Instagram account to give us a daily dose of fitspiration. Tanya's approach to living an active life is all about as her name says 'Achieving Balance'. She is our go to for new workout moves. She shares with us how she got started in fitness, her favourite workout and a great workout playlist too!
#My fitness journey
I have been into fitness for quite a while now. Both my Mum and my sister work in the fitness industry so my passion for fitness and health has been heavily influenced by them.
Over the past year however I have completely switched my exercise regime going from your typical cardio queen to HIIT girl (High Intensity Interval Training).
I have gone from running at least an hour everyday to training for 15-30 mins 4-6 days a week and have noticed some positive changes to my body both inside and out!
I love exercise and love the feeling that you get from a good workout but I feel it is a common thing to lose sight of why we exercise. Fitness is not just about looking good, and achieving a certain body shape...it is also about feeling good, strong, healthy and confident in the way we look and achieving overall wellness.
#My active life mantra
"Challenge your body, don't punish it. Nourish your body, don't deprive it."
#My biggest fitspiration
As lame as it sounds my biggest fitspiration is my mum! Even giving birth and raising 9 children she has still got it. Working in the fitness industry for thirty years and still going strong!
#Favourite Vie Pieces
#Top 5 tips for achieving balance
- 1- Keep your workouts quick and efficient - If there is one thing i believe in it is quality not quantity when it comes to training. There is no need to spend hours of your day working out, 30min MAX. is all you need! This is something I have definitely come to realise in the past year.
- 2-Variety- both in diet and exercise - Trying new things will not only help keep you interested but it will also keep your body guessing.
- 3- Lose the guilt- I find guilt to be one of the most detrimental things to a persons health. If you don't workout or eat as healthy as you would have liked it is definitely not woth beating yourself up over. This can have far worst consequences to both your physical and emotional health.
- 4- Get your friends and family involved- It is much easier to stick to your guns and make positive lifestyle changes if you have the support of those around you. Try to get them involved and make it fun but dont be too pushy. ( something I need to remember next time I'm trying to force feed coconut oil to my boyfriend....)
- 5- Don't be too strict- Health and fitness is a lifelong thing but it won't last long if you let it take over your life.
Here is a great workout that is quick, simple and really effective! It combines basic moves in quick sequence to help condition your body, strengthen your muscles and boost that metabolism.
10 x Box jumps (or bench jumps- you can also do tuck jumps if you don't have access to either)
15 x Push-ups
20 x Squats
25 x Bicycle crunches
100m sprint (or stair sprint)
Repeat 5 rounds for time!!
#My Workout Playlist
Gifted- NASA feat. Kanye, Santogold, Lykke Li
Jump Around- House of pain
All about that base-Meghan Trainor
Bad Girls- MIA
Rapper's Delight- The Sugarhill Gang
Ritual Union- Little Dragon
Strict Machine- Goldfrapp
O.P.P- Naughty by Nature
The Yeah Yeah Yeah song - The Flaming Lips
Follow Tanya on Instagram at @achieving_balance for #fitspo #workouts and more!