Fit Mum Feature: Vibeke Murphy
Posted on 05 May 2014
Fitness fanatic, Yoga teacher, Chiropractor and Super Mum, Vibeke Murphy is true #FITSPO, juggling two kids, a business and finding time to stay fit and healthy. We find out how she does it all and why she loves being a mum.
1. What's the one thing your mum always taught you about living an active life ?
My mum lived an active life by setting a good example . She walked everywhere as much as possible and rode her bicycle . She loved to go bush walking so we would often head out to the national parks for a bit of hiking and a picnic . My mum passed away 20 years ago so my memories of her living an active life are all during the era of aerobics which we both loved doing. She was always very much into us all sitting down as a family and eating nutritious whole food and always encouraged me to eat regular balanced meals. She would often say that a healthy strong body would give me the energy to do all the things I love and think clearly.
2. My mum was ....
A nurturing, super mum.
3. What do you love about being a mum?
Everything!! I feel that life has never been so fun and full. My heart is filled to the brim with love and my life is full of activity and laughs. My children remind me daily of what's truly important in life and they inspire me to live the most active, healthy, authentic version of myself!
4. What are the 3 most important things you teach your kids about being healthy and active?
My children are quite young (18 months and 3 ) so I really try to live by example. I want them to grow up believing that a Healthy active body equals ...
1. Clear calm mind
2. Helps promotes an inner confidence
3. Drives the Energy to follow your dreams
5. What are some healthy snacks we can find in your kids lunch boxes?
Whole grain cheese sandwiches
Hummus and carrot sticks
6. How do you spend time with your kids that is fun and active?
We live walking distance to Bondi beach so everyday we run, walk, ride or a scooter down to the beach and then run, scooter, ride bikes along the promenade. We build sand castles and play in the surf.
7. What are your top 3 active 'mum on the go ' pieces from Vie Active?
That's a tough question as they are all amazing !!
At the moment my favourite pieces are the Rockell black leopard tights, Grey Maya merino tank and Noa foundation jacket worn with a pair of wedge sneakers. This outfit has me looking fab and fashionable, feeling comfortable and fresh and carries me from the school drop off, to teaching a yoga class, seeing a few patients in my chiropractic practice as well as squeezing in a barre class and meeting a friend for coffee.
Shop Vibeke's Look:
1. We walk as much as possible around our area (Bondi beach).
We live in an apartment so we make a point of getting outside for some playtime every single day, even if it's just for a scooter or bike ride down to the beach.
2. Family time is fun time. We love spending time out in the fresh air at local parks and beaches as well as riding bikes, scooters or kicking a ball around.
3. I make a point of scheduling exercise sessions each week for myself. That way I don't have the excuse of not having enough time. I train early in the morning before the family rises, sneak out to the gym at lunch time if I'm at work and book a yoga, barre, Pilates class on the weekend when I know my husband can what the kids for an hour.
9. Being a mum is ...
a privilege and an adventure . Every day is filled with love, fun, activity and little challenges. My children are amazing teachers and inspire me to live a healthy active life .