Q & A with Path to Wellness' Melissa Ambrosini
Posted on 11 November 2013
MY ACTIVE LIFE: Melissa Ambrosini from Path to Wellness
Melissa Ambrosini is a true health and wellness slashie. A truth seeker, love-spirit-inspiration junkie, organic lifestyle lover, photography wannabe and fashion appreciator who is living her dreams, Melissa wakes up each morning with the intention to live from her heart and help others do the same.Throughout her own Path to Wellness, Mel realized how out of balance her life was in all areas and how she was always looking externally instead of internally for happiness. Experiencing extreme emotional highs and lows, and on a constant roller-coaster ride of sugar highs and lows (haven't we all been there?) It wasn’t fun. This made Mel realise: "If I was feeling like this, how many other people out there must be feeling the same way?" Hence Path to Wellness was born. Mel's goal is to empower her clients in all areas of their life and to help them fall head over heels back in love with the babe starring back at them in the mirror.
How we feed and treat our bodies is a direct reflection of how we are truly feeling about ourselves.
Favourite workout type: I love to mix up what I do for exercise. I love yoga, strength training with my trainer Christian Miranda, boxing, sprints and walking on my rest days. I move my body every day first thing in the morning so that I don’t have time to make excuses through out the day on why I shouldn't do it later in the day. Once it’s done it’s done. The most important thing is finding the joy is moving your body. Workout because you love it not because you don’t like your body and you want to change it.
My food philosophy:
- I believe we should all be eating how our ancestors ate. Chemical and pesticide free so all-organic and local fruit and veg (in season) where possible. Every time I eat I give thanks to my food and where it has come from. Do you know where your food first started and how it got to your plate? I invite you to think about that.
- All organic grass fed and grass finished animal products. This is a non negotiable for me, I will not put any meat in my mouth if I don't know where it has come from.
- Wild or line caught seafood only.
- Loads of clean filtered water, herbal teas, fresh juices and smoothie, coconuts and kambucha.
- No processed foods, sugar, refined carbs, dairy, soy, gluten, trans fats, MSG and alcohol. I believe our bodies don't cope well breaking these down.
- Conscious eating. I practice and teach conscious eating. Being present whilst you eat is extremely powerful. Try it!
- I see food as medicine and not something to fill emotional voids or to do out of habit or boredom. If there is something emotionally going on I sit with it and dive into the feeling. I don't go and supress it with food.
- I choose foods that I know have been made with love and care not something that has a longer shelf life than I do.
- I subscribe to the Melissa Ambrosini diet, what do you subscribe to? Everyone is different and what works for me may not be right for you. So I invite you to tune in with your body and feel what it’s craving.
Ideal pre-workout meal: I don’t eat anything before I workout. I train at 6am and I find I can’t exercise on a full belly.
Ideal post-workout meal: Something extremely nutritious and nourishing like 2 organic eggs, sautéed kale, spinach, avo and wild caught salmon.