How To: Do a Foldover
Posted on 17 August 2015
Elisha Elliot our amazing ambassador and Pilates instructor Elisha Elliot shares her tips on how to perfect the best butt lifting sequence ever - The Foldover.
Xtend Barre Fold Over (aka one of the best butt exercises ever!)
- Set up a legs length from the barre
- fold over so hand palms are resting on the barre with the feet below the hips.
- It's called fold over for a reason: really try to fold over from the hips and bring the body almost parallel to the floor.
- Reach the crown of your head to the barre and your tail towards centre floor.
From there, the movements options are endless!
- Keeping your supporting leg bent, and with that supporting heel on the floor or in releve (risen off the floor) allow your gesture to leg to move: lift it up off the floor straight back behind you as high as your potential.
- You want to feel you booty burn, but not your back move.
- Start with full range, tapping the floor, and then move to smaller isolated pulses.
- Make sure here you're mentally focused on your glutes squeezing and remember that your standing leg (and butt!) will and should be working hard too!
- Adding a playground ball behind the knees adds extra challenge to the hamstring muscles in order to keep it there, and a little extra weight that your butt has to lift.
- Hand weights behind the knees work well too.
- Remember this exercise is all about isolating the leg; so keep your back really strong and straight and feel your abs engage the entire series.
- Visualise your butt getting rounder, higher and former with every pulse. I do!