How To: Master Lizard Pose
Posted on 14 July 2015
Whether you are a dedicated yogi or not, we all benefit from a little stretching, especially in our hips. Whether you run, lift weights or do barre it is very easy to suffer from tight hips/hip flexors. Ball and Socket Joints need to be stretched in all directions to maximise mobility. But trust us, mobility is extremely important for every kind of exercise you do.
Lizard Pose is a great pose to help open up the hips and strengthen the legs. Here are our tips on how to master it!
How To: Lizard Pose
- From Downward Dog, step your right foot forward between your palms, keeping your hands on the floor.
- Release your elbows to the floor as well, keeping your back leg strong, drawing up the kneecaps.
- Continue to squeeze your right knee toward your body and keep your gaze in front of you to encourage your hips to lower toward the floor.
- After five breaths, come back onto your hands, tuck your back toes, and step your right leg back. Take a vinyasa and step your left foot forward to repeat this pose on the other side. Then work your way back to Down Dog.
- ADVANCED OPTION: if available, lift your elbows off the ground and move the arms into a bind.
Image via @shadesofjoy.co