5 MINUTES WITH CAT MEFFAN
Posted on 03 December 2014
I'm Cat Meffan, a health & fitness blogger from the UK. My blog, Imperfect Matter has been going for nearly two years and is an online hub to keep people motivated, inspired and up-to-date with the latest fitness news & trends. As an ex-dancer and gymnast, I'm still rather bendy, so if you hunt me down on Instagram you'll get to see lots of fun yoga poses!
As well as being a health & fitness writer, I'm also a jewellery designer with my debut ring collection due to launchbefore Christmas!
- Planning - With so many festive events coming up, your diary is sure to be full before you know it. Plan time for your workouts as you would with your social life, so that you don't miss out on a feel-good sweat session!
- Do it with friends - It's the holiday season, so of course we all want to see our friends more, but why not do a workout together and then go for a juice rather than a night out. Or if you do fancy that night out, you can get your workout done by dancing the night away!
- Alcohol - I know a lot of my friends go a little crazy with the alcohol when it gets to the holiday season, so if you're always tempted by a tipple, try opting for something with less sugar in it. How about vodka or gin with tonic water, fresh lime and mint?
- Hangover - I know from past experience that just one hangover can be the thing that leads us into a lazy week of no exercise, but after a night out refresh yourself with a green juice and a slow, calm yoga stretch session instead of naughty treats.
- Gifts - If you write a Christmas list for friends and family, then make sure you add some health & fitness inspired presents to help motivate you again after the Christmas & New Year celebrations.
What’s on your Christmas wish list from Vie Active?
I absolutely LOVE the new Midnight Garden collection, in particular the Rockell tights and Lori sports bra. I've also wanted the leopard Libby hoodie for ages, to match my leggings - you can never have too much leopard print!
What will you be indulging in for the Christmas season?
I'm not sure if you have them in Australia, but ever since I can remember my parents have always given me a box of mini Lindt chocolate bunnies in my Christmas stocking and I find it hard not to eat them all in one go! We all deserve chocolate treats at Christmas time.
Oooo yes, I make a yummy healthy granola and have added a couple of ingredients to make it taste more Christmassy!
- 1 Cup Quinoa Pops
- 3/4 Cup Flaked Almonds
- 1 Cup Organic Oats
- 1/2 Cup Walnuts
- 1/4 Cup Sunflower Seeds
- 1/4 Cup Pumpkin Seeds
- 2 x Heaped table spoons flaxseed
- 2 x Table spoons coconut oil
- 1 x Table spoon almond butter
- 1 x Table spoon raw honey
- 1 x Tablespoon of cinnamon
- Half an orange
- Pre-heat the oven to 170°C
- Mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl – crush the walnuts into smaller pieces
- Heat up the coconut oil, so it’s a liquid and mix with honey, almond butter, squeezed orange juice and grated orange zest
- Add the liquid mixture to the dry ingredients and stir thoroughly until it’s all covered. Your mixture should still be dry-ish, just coated in the mixture, making some bits stick together
- Put the mixture onto a baking tray – ideally piled no more than 1cm high
- Bake for 15-20mins – it’s very important to check your granola every 5mins and give it a little flip around, to stop burning.
- Leave to cool and enjoy with almond milk
If we can only fit in a quick workout around Christmas what should we be doing?