Q and A with nutritionist and health coach Jess sepel
Posted on 29 January 2015
Jess Sepel is one of our healthy living heros - not only is she tall, tanned and toned but she is a wealth of knowledge on nourishing your mind and your body with a mix of meditation, healthy recipes and workouts. We caught up to see what makes her tick and what she'll be doing to make 2015 her happiest year yet!
How do like to start your day:
With my Power Protein Smoothie - it keeps you full, gets rid of cravings and is packed full of amazing nutrients to cleanse and heal your body and muscles (after a workout)
- Power Protein Smoothie:
- - 1 serving pea/whey/rice protein powder
- - 1 cup liquid (almond milk, filtered water or coconut water)
- - 1 tsp chia seeds
- - 1/2 cup frozen berries
- - 1/2 frozen banana
- - 1/2 cup spinach
- - 1 tsp vanilla powder
- - 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- - 1/2 cup ice cubes
- - 1 tsp stevia
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor, top with nuts and seeds and enjoy!
What are your favourite beauty products for glowing skin:
I love using natural products that help nourish and rebalance the skin, nothing harsh or rough
- Burt’s Bees Intense Hydration Day Lotion – it’s 99% natural, eco-friendly and leaves my skin soft and supple.
- Rio Rosa Mosqueta Rosehip oil – works wonders overnight
- Apple cider vinegar – gets rid of blemishes quickly and naturally
Find more about Jess' glowing skin routine.
What did your workouts look like this week:
I love yoga, meditation and Pilates, but in 2015 I also want to focus on weight training, this is my favourite weight training circuit - I use my body weight as it can be done anywhere and can burn more calories than using equipment.
- TRX arm pulls, 20 reps x 3
- Tricep dips, 20 reps x 3
- Body squats, 20 reps x 3
- Leg lunges, 20 reps x 3
- When I wake up I take a few minutes for meditation or to write in my gratitude journal. It’s such a calm way to start the morning.
- I make it a priority to shut my door and turn my phone off for 10-15 minutes every day. It helps me center myself.
- In the evening I like to put my legs up against the wall and breathe deeply from my belly.
Nutrition tips for maintaining a lean and fit body:
- Include protein with every meal and snack, and be sure to enjoy lots of greens with each meal.
- Cut back on liver loaders – things like alcohol, caffeine, dairy and gluten.
- Reduce simple carbohydrates, especially after 3pm.
It isn't too much of an indulgence as it's made with whole and nourishing ingredients - that said raw treats still need to be eaten in moderation - but I love by tahini shortbread balls!
Shop Jess' Favourite Pieces!