20 Healthy Snack Suggestions
Posted on 21 April 2014
Health blogger and Nutritionist Jessica Sepel, runs through her top 20 snack suggestions to keep those cravings at bay between meals.
It is vital to snack appropriately throughout the day for blood sugar balance, mood control, cognitive function, weight control and metabolic performance. Always aim to have 5 small meals a day. Each meal or snack must always contain a component of protein to ensure a slow release of energy into the blood.
It is a very important part of my healthy lifestyle to ensure I always have access to healthy snack options. I think this is where a lot of people fall short- they get hungry and cannot get their hands on anything healthy. So they reach for anything and sometimes everything!
I choose Sundays to prepare my snacks so they are ready for the week. I refrigerate and freeze anything I need to.
1. Handful (1/4 cup) of raw nuts and seeds (activated if possible)
2. Dates stuffed with almond butter/raw almonds/raw seeds
5. Cut up Veggies with hummus
6. 1 boiled egg with a 1 low GI fruit e.g. berries/apple/pear
7. Nori sheets with hummus and cut up veggies and avocado with a drizzle of tamari sauce (looks like sushi).
9. Apple slices smeared with 1 tbsp. almond butter
10. Quest protein bar
13. Protein or Bliss Ball
14. Kale chips with a tahini dipping sauce ( 1 tbsp tahini, juice of ½ lemon, Tsp maple syrup).
15. Grated carrot with drizzle of lemon and himalayan salt- amazing liver cleanser.
17. Chocolate Avocado Mousse
19. ½ banana with 2 tbsp Greek yoghurt, drizzle of maple syrup, cinnamon + tbsp. seeds.
20. 3-4 tbsp cottage cheese with 1 tsp. cinnamon, 1 tsp raw honey and some raw nuts/seeds
What are your favourite snack combos?