VIRTUAL CUP OF TEA WITH VIE ACTIVE FOUNDER NOA RIES
Posted on 07 May 2016
- Tell us a bit about yourself? How did you get to where you are today?
I’m the founder of Vie Active. About 4.5 years ago, I had an ephipany at 4pm one day when I found myself still in my workout clothes, had not had time for a shower and just felt super daggy (that’s Australian for ‘uncool’!). I don’t have time for 5 outfit changes and I realised that there were so many women like me. Women who are trying to do it all, juggle so many balls every day and wear so many hats and investing in our own health and fitness is what enables us to do all that. I wanted to create a range of clothing that would enable a woman to feel just as stylish as she does fit. And also on the days when she has not had much sleep or just needs a little lift, she can still feel really put together. I wanted to create clothing that would be her battle suit for the day empowering her to be badass in everything she does.
- What is one of the most important lessons you have learnt as a mother?
The importance of Patience, Perspective and Persistence. Same three Ps that apply as an entrepreneur!
- What daily habits keep you productive?
Drinking lots of water and writing daily lists.
- Why is health and fitness a priority for you?
When my father died suddenly in 2007, working out became therapy for me. I realised at the point how incredibly positive and impactful health & fitness is for your mindset. By investing in your own health & fitness as a priority, you are able to give, do and be so much more.
- What are your thoughts on that elusive work/life/balance combination?
It doesn’t exist! You’re always sacrificing one area and if you strive for 8 neat hours of work / life and “balance” each day you end up feeling like a failure.
- What is your favourite way to exercise?
Outdoors – trail running, hiking etc and also dancing (although I am very uncoordinated I love it anyway!)
- If you could share one piece of wisdom to your daughters what would it be?
Girls can and should be strong, powerful and confident without loosing their ability to be empathetic, vulnerable and feminine.
- What traits does your daughter already have of yours?
Stubborn, risk taking, energetic, firey, happy, loving, empathetic
- Finally, At Vie Active we celebrate the notion of being FLAWSOME, realising that we can’t always be perfect and that our imperfectness is what makes us who we are – what makes you FLAWSOME?
Many things! I am uncoordinated but I LOVE dancing, I have chunky quads but I am a great runner and getting pretty good at box jumps. I am trusting but I don’t tolerate mediocrity. I am impatient but a good listener.
The VIE ACTIVE LIST
- Heels or sneakers? Heels in the night, sneakers in the day
- Coffee or wine? both
- Sunrise or Sunset workout? sunrise
- Favourite food avocado and French fries
- What are your makeup must-haves? Mascara and blush
- What’s always in your gymbag? Water, my phone and headphones
- What was the last thing you recommended to a friend? A little break
- What’s always in your fridge? probiotics
- What would we be surprised to find in your fridge: toblerone
- Your style icon: Jessica Alba
- Your "healthy living" hero: Jessica Alba
- The wardrobe item you can’t live without: white sneakers
- The book on your bedside table right now: The hard thing about hard things
- Three things on your bucket list: take my kids to France, run the NYC marathon, go on a bike trip with my husband
- Your latest obsession: fresh mountain air in Sun Valley!